1.6.06

Give passports a chance

Here is my letter to the editor as published in the Chicago Tribune. I would have linked it but it might be gone by the time you read it. here is the original article I referred to in my letter.

There are plenty of people concerned that the requirement by the U.S. for passports from Canadians will hurt tourism and trade. The U.S. Congress may give Canada enough time to come up with a driver's license that is more foolproof. The irony of that is the U.S. driver's license isn't considered proof of U.S. citizenship.


The gifts that a passport bestows

After coming back from a fun-filled, three-day weekend in Detroit and Windsor, Ontario, imagine my surprise to read "Canadians also paying price of 9/11 security" (Page 1, May 24), by Tribune correspondent Tim Jones.

I deliberately stayed in Windsor for a number of reasons: cheaper hotel room and easy access to Windsor’s nightlife. But I also find it a wonderful experience to travel to a foreign country. By staying in Windsor, I crossed the border six times in less than 48 hours.

Admittedly I am one person in the 20 percent of Americans who have a passport, so as long as I have it with me, crossing is easy to do.

Yes, since Sept. 11, 2001, there are more questions and some of them are a little strange. I get asked more where I live. Once I say "Chicago," that response satisfies people.

On the Saturday night that I made my way back to Windsor, I was asked to show my hotel key card. Once he saw it, the border guard was satisfied.

I cross the border quite a bit, so I am used to the questions. I still find the process to be worthwhile.

In talking to Canadians who cross the border regularly, I learned that they take it all very much in stride.

In downtown Windsor, I saw numerous Americans. A lot of them were young people taking advantage of Ontario’s drinking age (19). Others were just sightseeing. I also saw quite a few Canadians in Detroit, many of whom were dressed in cowboy garb for a huge country music concert.

I met a guy named Will from Kitchener, Ontario, who was going to his first baseball game at Comerica Park. He used to live in Windsor, and crossed all the time to go to Tiger Stadium. Will was visiting his friend, Brian, who lived in the Detroit area.

If you are one of the 80 percent of U.S. citizens who don’t own passports, take the time to get one. The cost is less than $100 and the document is good for 10 years-less than $10 per year. A passport is also a handy ID within the U.S. for filling out employment forms and showing proof of citizenship.

Traveling to a different country gives you an amazing perspective of your own country. Americans who have been to Canada tell me how clean it is and how polite and friendly Canadians are.

Even on this trip, it was really great to hear Canadians tell me how great it would be to live in Chicago.

You might win an international trip or your boss might need you to go to an international business function.

With a passport, you can reply, "So when do I leave?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home