12.9.07

Back from Toronto

My first trip to Toronto since 1988. Sad that it has been that long. I truly had forgotten what a nice place it is.

-- Yonge Street, the longest street in the world, has been cleaned up since I was last there. Not too much, let's say, adult entertainment, at least compared to my last trip.

-- Celebrities were there for the Toronto International Film Festival. You might have read that the festival is pretty significant. You can't truly feel that unless you are there. I got up Saturday at 6:30 a.m. to wait in line for movie tickets at 7 a.m. I was 24th in line, but still got my tickets. Saw 2 shows that day, the first one at 9 a.m.

I'm not giving the title of the first film I saw since, ironically, it might not get through U.S. spam filters. In Toronto, all but one of the newspapers ran the title as is. It is a Canadian film and, while it's not for 8-year-olds, was not as extreme as the title would indicate.

-- They say Toronto is a city of different ethnic neighborhoods. This is an understatement. The cultures, races, creeds truly get along well here. More than in New York or Chicago.

-- Toronto Islands were a lot of fun. Hanlan's Point even has Ontario's only official clothing optional beach. And yes, I did participate. I have the sunburn to prove it.

-- People there were very friendly. I never got lost, so I didn't have to ask for directions. But I met numerous people. The only strange people I met were "Ugly Americans" who were waiting for Brad and Angelina.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home