21.5.06

Trip to Windsor

If you look on a map, you will see that Windsor is barely in Canada. If you are in downtown Windsor, you can see the Detroit skyline, so the U.S. always lurks by. But when you are in Windsor, you are definitely not in the U.S.

There is a lot to be made over the "debauchery" in downtown Windsor: Cuban cigars, strip clubs, "massages," legal drinking by anyone 19 and older. But I feel more comfortable walking through downtown Windsor at 1:45 a.m. than downtown Detroit. And most of that "debauchery" is enjoyed by Americans, who can't get that across the Detroit River.

Things are different: cleanliness, politeness, safety, and overall charm. The riverfront of Windsor is much prettier than the Detroit side. Then there's CBC Newsworld and CTV NewsNet that put CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News Channel to shame. I really feel different when I am in Canada, even if it is Windsor.

My accent gives me away, so Canadians know I'm American. But I'm not the "ugly American" and they sense this. They ask about Chicago and I ask them about Canada. I got into a discussion at a diner in Windsor with a woman who asked about American politics. Very friendly conversation.

I also stock up on some items you can't get in America, mostly dealing with the lack of high-fructose corn syrup. Things taste better in Canada because they don't use HFCS.

I tried something new, crossing via the Tunnel Bus from the Windsor transit system. The "joy" of dealing with Customs is that they will ask you anything. If you're ready, and honest, you'll be fine. Since I also visited Detroit, I made 6 crossings in less than 48 hours. I had very little issue, though the funniest moment was crossing back to Windsor after the Tigers game Saturday night. Americans crossing to Windsor on a Saturday night might be looked upon. The Canadian customs guy asked to see my hotel key. I gladly showed him. Everything was fine.

I can't wait to go back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home