12.12.05

Traveling to Europe, Canadian style

"The Simpsons" took a shot last night on how Americans travel through Europe with homage to Canada.

The Simpson family traveled to Italy for last night's episode. When they are getting their luggage, we see a backpack with a Canadian flag. Bart asks Lisa why she has a Canadian flag on her backpack. Lisa says, "Well, some people in Europe have the impression that America has made some stupid choices in the past, oh, five years. So, for the next week, I'm from Canada."

Bart tells her that Homer may blow her cover. As Homer grabs a huge American flag, he says, "That flag is mine! Don’t mess with Texas. Shock and awe, losers. Shock and awe."

I do wonder if Americans really try this "disguise." And whether they know enough about Canada to get away with it. I know in traveling to Canada, I clearly come across as American, despite valiant efforts on my part. But since I'm not an ugly American, I get treated well. (Even ugly Americans are still treated well by Canadians.)

So for our Canadian readers, do Europeans check to prove you really are Canadian? For our American readers, have you ever tried pretending you’re Canadian? Did it work? Let me know.

"The Simpsons" airs in the U.S. on FOX and in Canada on Global Sunday nights at 8 EST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home