5.1.06

Me like hockey

"Me like hockey" is a line from a song about hockey I heard on the Dr. Demento show. To understand Canada is to understand hockey, or vice versa.

Every so often, I like to participate in that world. So I am taking in the Vancouver Canucks and the Chicago Blackhawks tonight. Unfortunately, this isn't the best example of hockey these days.

Vancouver comes into the game having lost seven of their last eight games. The skid has dropped Vancouver into third place in the Northwest Division behind the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.

The Canucks have a lot of talent and got off to a great start. But lately, lethargy has set into the team. On Monday, Vancouver lost 4-1 to the St. Louis Blues -- the NHL's worst team.

The Blackhawks are not the NHL's worst team, but they're really close. They have lost eight in a row.

I picked Vancouver in part because I was there in August. Chicago is the other pick because they are the home team. And the Blackhawks don't play Montreal or Toronto (what is the deal with that?).

So when I go watch the game, it will not be hockey at its finest. But I'm itching to go. With last year's lockout, it's been a while since I satisfied my thirst for hockey.

For those who watch it on TV, and wonder what the excitement is all about, go in person. It's very easy to get lost in the excitement of the crowd. I'll let you know how it goes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home