22.11.06

Joining Canada with a dollar coin?

The new $1 coins launched in the U.S. reminds us of the loonie and twoonie in circulation in Canada. If you haven't been to Canada in the last 20 years, there are no $1 and $2 bills in Canada, just coins.

The U.S. coins feature the presidents and will be released 4 at a time. The list only features dead presidents (you have to be dead to be on a coin).

But getting U.S. residents to use any of the dollar coins has been difficult since the dollar bills are kept around. In Canada, you have no choice; the coins are the only way to go. The $1 dollar bill was phased out around 1988; the twoonie was introduced in 1996.

Personally, it takes some adjustment in carrying around more coins. I feel like spending them to get rid of the jingle in my pocket (an added incentive?). But if I did it every day, I'm sure I would quickly adjust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home